Sunday, February 16, 2014

Behind The Scenes of My First Match with AXEL and my UCW DEBUT!

                                                     MY DEBUT UCW MATCH 
                                                                     FEB 2013



      It seems like only yesterday I was in my first match in UCW! I can't believe it has already been a year almost. This is a match that I rarely talk about. I mean Axel by all means is an incredible performer. A possible induction into the Gay Wrestling Hall of Fame (which i hope to create.. more on that later) but I really have pushed this match aside. I feel I have brushed it off because it was my debut match. I hate being a newbie at anything and this was no exception. I was so nervous the entire day that I found out I would be having my debut match. Let's sort of rewind about how I got to UCW at this point.

     I was sitting in a very dingy gay bar that shall remain nameless. I had actually left because the owner tried to fuck me in the bathroom. He followed me in and was trying to put moves on me and luckily I was able to push him off of me and make an exit. (I can get more into some other time) before I left I grabbed a philadelphia gay news magazine. I was going through the magazine and saw this ad for a wrestling promotion. They were seeking fresh talent and mentioned something about training in the ad. I was instantly drawn to the guy in the ad. That would be none other than my future rival, Michael Hannigan. I thought Michael was really cute, but not a super sexy guy. He didn't have a lot of muscle but he was appealing. I thought to myself, self maybe this is something I could do. My experience in wrestling up until this point was a bit of pro training, which i dropped because of money issues, wrestling with my friends, and high school. Although I wasn't able to even compete in high school because I was kind of a trouble maker and got suspended. Wasn't able to compete for the team so what little i learned was wasted.  I was also feeling very down at this point because I was had a BG East audition a month prior and was told I was too slim. I had the look he liked but he wanted me to put on more muscle. I never saw that as a rejection, more of if it is meant to happen it will happen. So I made contact with UCW and BodySlam Mike was very interested in me.

A little bit after answering that ad I was rushed down for some training. I was already a natural performer and just needed to be shown a few moves basically. Went for a few training sessions and after that was told I'm being put in a match against AXEL. The golden boy of UCW. I was both thrilled and terrified. I always appear confident but I tell you that sometimes is a front.I don't let it show because what I learned from the indy world of wrestling is fans will eat you alive if they see you lack confidence. At this point I didn't have a name or a character. I started talking about being FLAWLESS and having this high ego basically. That was the birth of my character and I didn't even know I was doing it. I was set to be the in between type of character. It wasn't till after my debut that people started to tell me that I looked like Axel.  I heard and to this day still hear people ask me if we are related. I think there was an opportunity for an incredible angle there with me playing his younger brother. It could have opened up many doors but I thought I'd sort of be in the shadows and never really on Axel's level. So I am thrilled that never came to fruition. 

    It comes time for my first match. I am also facing a fear of now having to do a 35 minute match where the moves aren't called. Any other time before this I'd be used to working with my friends or my pro training calling out moves. You can't do that when there is a camera so close to you because then you ruin the fantasy of it all. This was something else for me to adapt to. A new style. Having to feed off of body movements and signs of what moves would come next. I tell you it was a learning experience and one I was very thankful to have. My fears were easily rested as Axel is an incredible performer and worked a great deal with me. He carried me through the match and honestly he can make a potato make it look like it has wrestling ability. He really is that good. He has been doing this shit for years and knows what he is doing. I was also very comfortable with him so our chemistry was spot on. There was one point in the match that I thought as a rookie I was in control for too long. I didn't think it would be believable if I was in control too long.  I started to do some taunts and really wind him up. I wanted to be in control longer but I also kind of wanted to keep fans in suspense.  He without hesitation took control and again carried me through. After it was all said and done I think I had a great deal of respect for him. The match ended up going over well and it got me off to a good start in UCW.

              SO WHAT DO I REALLY REALLY THINK OF AXEL OFF SCREEEN?
     I told you guys that I was going to be brutally honest and not hold back. So here goes! I don't really know a lot about Axel behind the scenes. We've shared a few laughs and had some conversation, but aside from that I really don't know much about him. He's sort of hard to get a reading on. I think he's fairly guarded, you never really know what he's thinking. I mean aside from that he is smart and motivated. I think he knows what he wants in life and goes after it. He knows what is best for business in a lot ways too. So he is an ideal person to have in a control position at UCW. He also has some crazy ass fans.

      Thanks for sharing this look back with me. I'll leave you with some screenshots that I came across from this match. If you'd like to purchase this match go UCW MATCH 258



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have stories for pretty much every ucw match I have had... There will be a lot more to tell!

      Delete